Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  January 5, 2019 9:00pm-10:00pm PST

9:00 pm
violates federal law. but late let it be said, the former speaker of the house knows a growth industry when he sees one. that is our broadcast for friday night and this week. have a good weekend, thank you so very much for being here with us. good night from our nbc news headquarters here in new york. as we begin our broadcast, we reflect on this. this is formally the first business day of donald trump's new reality, democrats running the show in the u.s. house. we have a preview of how they plan to use the new power. they want to investigate the trump presidency. one is here tonight. also tonight a warning from a top democrat to senator elizabeth warren as she is in iowa. that democrat is here live on the beat. a republican member of congress also defending donald trump's broken wall promise. we will talk directly and you know that it's friday. you know that.
9:01 pm
we have a very special fallback friday. the one and only special icon and pulitzer prize winner together tonight. i don't think you want to miss it. let's begin with the big news. speaker pelosi playing "hardball." they will not give an inch to build the wall mexico would pay for as the shutdown goes into the 14th day. a.k.a. we're on the third week. nancy pelosi and chuck schumer made it plain after meeting with trump. >> we're just completed a lengthy and sometimes contentious conversation with the president. >> we made a plea to the president once again. don't hold millions of americans, hundreds of thousands of workers hostage. we told the president we needed the government open. he resisted. he said he would keep the government closed for a very long period of time, months or
9:02 pm
even years. >> years. it sounds unbelievable. a president threatening to keep the government closed for years all because mexico wouldn't do what he said he would make them do. that's his version of the story. here's donald trump admitting it. >> they said you said in the meeting, this is him quoting you and i want to check that the shutdown could go on for months or even a year or longer. did you say that -- >> i did. absolutely i said that. i don't think it will, but i am prepared. >> that are means facts like this emerge. government workers saying they are having trouble already paying bills or affording food and having to buy different medicine or no medicine. they can't afford it without paychecks. the president said it could be years. hundreds of thousands of federal workers are not getting paid. senior officials in the trump administration will start getting $10,000 raises. you can reflect on that contrast.
9:03 pm
he said he might consider asking the staffers to forego the raises. donald trump still on a path to let his own staffers get extra money while all these other federal workers don't get anything. today we are seeing signs of a fracture within the gop. two republican senators are breaking with trump about some of this. others reportedly getting nervous and questions and pressure mounting on mitch mcconnell and he was missing and this was interesting. when trump was crowing about the shut down. >> why is senator mitch mcconnell not here? >> he has been great. mitch mcconnell was here for hours at the meeting. >> why is he not here at the rose garden right now? >> he's running the senate. >> her maiden voyage on "the beat." peggy noonan and professor at harvard's kennedy school of
9:04 pm
government. thanks to both of you for being here. i want to get to the developing news. joy reed has this brand-new interview with speaker pelosi. here is some news coming out as pelosi puts the heat on trump to fix the shutdown. >> one of the things you talked about yesterday in your acceptance speech was the power of congress, as the first branch of government. mitch mcconnell, your counterpart in the senate has made it clear that even those these were senate bills passed by republicans that he won't put them back on the floor unless the president approves of them. how do you get around this if the other half of the first branch of government will only act at the behest of the president? >> what mitch mcconnell is doing and i say this as respectfully as possible, is saying we are not needed. congress might as well stay home. all we need is one person to show up. donald trump. that's not what our founders had in mind.
9:05 pm
they talked about coequal branches of government. article one. the legislative branch. the people's branch of government. the president can sign or not, but he should never say i'm not even going to put it on the president's desk. >> leah, what is the speaker doing there? >> so, the speaker is putting the pressure on donald trump. but also setting up and this is what nancy pelosi is really good for. it's a reminder to donald trump that we are back to reality. so suggesting that house democrats are not going to cave and democrats have a responsibility to uphold what they promised their constituents what they would do. part of that is saying no to a wall and forcing donald trump to own up to his campaign and what he said in the campaign. he promised to mexico would pay for the wall and they are able
9:06 pm
to hold it out into the long stretch. now the ball is in his court even as congress still has the power. what they are saying is they are not going to cave. >> what do you see here in a style of leadership and negotiation that the nicest euphemism would be improvisational and the harsher verdict is donald trump seems to have no plan and no idea what he's doing. >> i was wondering what they were thinking when they asked the democratic leaders, knowing that it would be a fractious meeting and leave and say it was. ari, i tell you what i think we learned today was that a government shutdown that began before christmas, before new year's certainly, this really could go for a while. not only because the president used, i assume, as a associating
9:07 pm
tactic, i could go a year or many months on this. because both sides seem so dug in. neither side seems to have a reason at the moment that would force them towards concession. it looks like they will be at lagerheads for a while that suggest to me the shutdown will probably have to become painful for them to -- for both sides politically to start to suffer enough that they start to inch towards some kind of compromise or they are eyeball-to-eyeball and somebody blinks. that may be the outcome here. >> you held the post as adviser to a president, something most of us don't do and don't know about. how would one advise a normal president if not this president on a situation where he had two years with his party in control of congress and they never funded the wall.
9:08 pm
how do you go to the american people and say this is a priority that is worth you not having food assistance for hungry people and bearing the brunt for workers who are serving in nonpartisan and everyday roles. it should hurt because of something this president didn't do when they had full control. >> that's a reasonable criticism and the president himself would come back and say look, this is not about parties per se and it's not about the past two years. this argument is a reflection of the fact that the american people are split between their support for immigration and their opposition to illegal immigration. we need to control the border. we need something that looks like border control and security. i think it's possible that a compromise may come out of the question, what exactly does border security look like?
9:09 pm
maybe they will massage ideas and decide they can both live with some sort of compromise. but i think it is a fair point to say if the republicans wanted border security and a wall so much, they did have two years to get it done. >> leah? >> the problem, ari, is the majority of americans don't want this wall. even the american who is do want the wall, the small percentage who want the wall don't want to pay for it. they don't want the money to come from their tax dollars. there is a consensus that americans don't see this wall as a priority. really what donald trump is telling the country and his base, this small cross section of the united states that is incredibly powerful within the republican party is who he is catering to and he is willing to
9:10 pm
throw all of that in front of the needs of the rest of the country that is highly troubling and it means that we are probably facing a stalemate for sometime. >> and i should note -- >> this is not the longest government shut down, but it's a problem. >> both of you have different views on the underlying immigration policy tradeoffs, but you are agreeing as analysts and i think the points of agreement are interesting that we could be in this shutdown for a long time. leah, i want to point to the role of mcconnell because we saw him in action because he was in a meeting and not at the press conference. they should be mindful of the fortunes of those who were up in cycle in states won by clinton and the prolonged government shutdown they argue is the last thing those lawmakers need. >> americans do not like government shutdowns. they really, really dislike government shutdowns. in the past, republicans gambled
9:11 pm
with this and somewhat come out ahead, but they had moments where they have been hit hard. this is one of the things mitch mcconnell is facing. we know that these are areas where people do not favor these policies. he is trying to figure out and right now in the middle trying to figure out is it something worth pursuing. increasingly it's looking like there are republican defectors who are saying you know what, this is not worth it. this is not something that i can defend and not something that i can bring to congress because i'm risking my political livelihood. >> if there are reasonable defectors who explain their case, donald trump will listen to them and change his mind. just kidding. where are we going with that? no. i have to fit this in, but you are coming back. this is what i'm going to say. thanks to leah and peggy joins
9:12 pm
us later in "fallback friday." now, let's think about it like this. beyond the wall, democrats are not just fighting this out, although it's a big story. on this first official day in office, we can report a steady stream of efforts to hold donald trump accountable on other issues. take a look at adam schiff. >> probably the first step will be to provide the transcripts to bob mueller to have evidence they contain, but before people came to the committee and hold them accountable like michael cohen. >> that mention of accou accountability for cohen, he did plead guilty among other things. robert mueller requested transcripts from roger stone in the u.s. house. if that means they said anything wrong, but if you are talking about exposure, a lot of people made statements to congress which carry a lot of accountability if there is anything wrong with them. the judiciary committee
9:13 pm
demanding that trump's general confirm a date for his testimony and they are pushing a bill to protect mueller and they said there is plenty of other work to do. >> the new democratic majority will put an end to the attempts to sabotage and undermine the mueller investigation. when mueller issues the report, it will go to the house judiciary committee because that's our charge. we will make sure it is public. with that said, we are not going to wait for the mueller report. there is plenty for the judiciary committee to look into right now. >> eric swalwell joins me now. >> good evening and thanks for having me back. >> what is the priority looking beyond the wall to these other committee actions? >> to protect our democracy. we have a presidential election
9:14 pm
that is next on the horizon. russia is intent on hitting us and we don't fully understand what they did in the last election. understanding our vulnerabilities and how this president and his team were willing and eager to work with them and what we can do to interdict where necessary and putting reforms in place that we never see a foreign adversary do this again. >> what are do you want to do with him when we are a couple of weeks away from the hearings in the senate side for his replacement? >> priority number one with acting attorney general whitaker is to understand if he is a credible overseer of this investigation. whether he made promises to donald trump about what he would do to hinder the investigation and whether he intends to allow it to continue and whether he stopped robert mueller from seeking dimes already. he made so many statements that prejudged the outcome and these are series questions that he should have to answer.
9:15 pm
>> do you think in the senate to move forward on the attorney general and have you seen anything on his record that makes you think that's an effort to interfere with the mueller probe. >> we're just learned this through free press reporting. letters to rod rosenstein suggesting ways that the mueller probe is not valid. that concerns me. they have someone who prejudged the investigation and ha may have valid credentials, but like justice kavanaugh chosen by donald trump for the wrong reasons only because of views on mueller or executive authority. >> i'm curious how it has been the last couple of days about how the house is all about which party is in charge and everyone else basically hangs out. that's not how you described it, but how does it feel being in the majority and have you heard from republicans going into the minority for the first time.
9:16 pm
>> we have the confidence of being able to do something. honestly we felt powerless and saw the rule of law and a president overstepping his contract and we relied on the people on the outside and the ballot box to save us. and they have. you still want to shout and go to the streets, but we have been given the power to do something on the inside. i think that's welcoming for the american people that we are not powerless anymore. >> another busy night in washington. thank you so much. coming up -- an opening shot in this 2020 fight. a candidate warning against dishonest populism. this is terry mcauliffe. nancy pelosi waiting into the impeachment. aoc taking critics for a spin in the halls of congress. republicans struggling with trump's broken promise on the
9:17 pm
pesos. the missing pesos for the wall. later as promised, this could be one of the best "fallbacks" ever. peggy noonan. you are watching the beat on ms nbc. xr. xeljanz xr can reduce pain, swelling and further joint damage, even without methotrexate. xeljanz xr can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma have happened. as have tears in the stomach or intestines, serious allergic reactions, low blood cell counts, higher liver tests and cholesterol levels. don't start xeljanz xr if you have an infection. your doctor should perform blood tests before and while taking xeljanz xr, and monitor certain liver tests. tell your doctor if you've been somewhere fungal infections are common and if you have had tb, hepatitis b or c,
9:18 pm
or are prone to infections. needles. fine for some things. but for you, one pill a day may provide symptom relief. ask your doctor about xeljanz xr. an "unjection™". reach her health goals! i'm in! but first... shelfie! the great-tasting nutrition of ensure. with up to 30 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals! ensure. for strength and energy.
9:19 pm
ensure. when heartburn hits... fight back fast with tums smoothies. it neutralizes stomach acid at the source. tum tum tum tum tums... smoothies... ...and introducing new tums sugar-free.
9:20 pm
the race to get trump out of the white house is on. senator elizabeth warren making her first official campaign trip in iowa as part of a five-city swing. her early jump puts pressure on
9:21 pm
others. tonight reports julian castro may jump in by next week as part of a longer list of potential candidates. you can barely keep track. including this guy, a former governor, terry mcauliffe joins me in a moment. he was seen as a clinton-style centrist, a contrast to the buzz around warren's liberal anti-populism. >> look, i don't think of this in terms of party. i think of it in terms of people who want to see change. is this a primary who is a grass roots movement that is funded by the grassroots, that is done with grassroots volunteers or is this going to be something that is just one more play thing that billionaires can buy? no to the billionaires whether they are self-funding or whether they are funding pacs.
9:22 pm
we are the democratic party and that's the party of the people. >> the party of the people, what could be wrong with that? maybe something. mcauliffe is making waves with a piece warning candidates away from dishonest populism or from pitching policies that are too good to be true like a federal jobs guarantee or universal free college and instead arguing from a more bill clinton style platform focusing on health care and improving education and raising wages. thanks for being here, governor. >> happy new year. >> happy new year. why did you send the warping shot to senator warren? >> it wasn't to senator warren. it's to all democrats. >> i hate to interrupt you out of the gate. you wrote to 2020 candidates, there is one 2020 candidates right now and that's senator warren.
9:23 pm
>> there is going to be a lot of them. i'm happy elizabeth warren is in. nobody has been a better fighter for consumers than elizabeth warren. people want results. they want problem solvers and people who talk about the kitchen table issues. that's what i did. we made a red state and made it blue best of investment and education and health care. we built a lot of roads and people want someone who will play out the true facts of what we need to do. president trump is a compulsive liar. we need an optimist and a realist. >> when you say dishonest populism, are you disagreeing with the assertion that there should be a litmus test in the party and billionaires shouldn't be able to run and be a big force and who wins? >> whoever wants to run should run. what i am for, the democrats laying out a pro jobs, pro wages agenda that's going to move this country forward. as i say in virginia, it's not the issue of free college. we have nine million almost workers in the country that need jobs filled for. we need to put people to work.
9:24 pm
i was proud as governor of virginia to do the first workforce performance grant in america. you get one of the 166 credentials and you guarantee a job and have no debt and move into the workforce. i am trying to focus on the folk who is every year move from $15 an hour jobs to $15 an hour jobs. there is a huge opportunity to do it. a record amount of jobs and investment. we teach cyber security beginning in kindergarten? why? i had about 80,000 open jobs that i had to fill. cyber jobs starting pay of $88,000. i retooled the education system so when folks get a job in virginia, they move into the workforce. that's what people want. they heard all the false stories. we have to beat trump, but beat
9:25 pm
him with a positive agenda in high wages and doing what we need to do as democrats. that's why we won so much last year. 40 seats in the house and a record amount of pickups in virginia. we delivered. >> you got facts and it's a real record. i feel like i'm at your state of the state address. >> the facts are the facts. that's the one thing about a governor. i have the facts of what we were able to do. we transformed our state and unemployment went from 5.4 to 3.6. i reduced unemployment in every rural community in the commonwealth of virginia. that's what our agenda needs to be. we will hit headwinds with the economy in 2020. >> it's not that i am looking for the contrast, but you have a piece that you are describing and they may like what you are hearing. you are saying it's not really about warren. who is pushing dishonest populism?
9:26 pm
what does that mean? >> what we can't do is what trump has done for the last three or four years. he said we could get everything for free and guarantee entitlements and jobs and he hasn't delivered on that. we have to show that we can deliver. that's how we win. the 24 states that i went to, why did we win? he talked about health care and infrastructure and fixing our education system. that's what we need and that's the discussion. we shouldn't be off on ideas that really might be good ideas and maybe down the road, we have to deal with the facts that we have in front of us today. we have to deal with a new disruptive economy and virginia became the number one state for cyber and data. that is where we need to take this country. >> one more thing with a little lightning round. are you ready? here we go.
9:27 pm
a one sentence or one word. the percent chance that you run for president? >> i'm looking at it. i would say today, 50-50. i have to make more decisions on it. i'm looking at it very seriously. >> 50-50 is high for a guy like yourself. would mike bloomberg make a good president? >> sure. if he wants to run, he ought to run. he did a very good job as the mayor of new york city. the democratic party should not exclude anybody. if you have good ideas, i was promoting. >> we are in the lightning round. >> let the good ideas in. >> best person to beat trump today other than you? >> i'm not going to answer that. that's what this campaign is going to be about. we have to beat trump. >> does that mean it's good? is it a good question if you won't answer it? i don't know. >> it's a good question. we have a lot of great candidates that are going to run. >> let me ask you about the
9:28 pm
president who has done so much and seems sometimes at least until the blue wave hit to get away with a lot. worst thing he has done in office. >> i think separating families is the worst thing he has done. one of the most atrocious things i have ever seen. i would put the report of 18 lives a day. the man is a compulsive liar and we have to hold him accountable for that. >> as you consider what is now formally a 50-50 proposition of running for president. i appreciate you taking the questions. >> we will be back soon. thank you, sir. >> we turn to a special fall back friday, but first the shut down debate with a republican supporting donald trump breaking his promise on that mexican funded wall when we are back in 30 seconds. someone in witness protection, i can't tell you anything about myself. but believe me... i'm not your average consumer. that's why i switched to liberty mutual. they customized my car insurance, so i only pay for what i need. and as a man... uh... or a woman... with very specific needs that i can't tell you about-
9:29 pm
say cheese. mr. landry? oh no. hi mr. landry! liberty mutual customizes your car insurance so you only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ how will the shutdown fight end? it's hard to know without hearing from both parties. we turn to my exclusive guest, roger marshall from kansas. thanks for joining me tonight, congressman. >> ari, happy new year. >> donald trump promised mexico would pay for the wall. why do you think he completely failed at that goal? >> i think i'm going to stay focussed on what the theme has been from day one. the border security as a priority. there are several ways he described that we can do it. i am focused and looking for a way to get that accomplished.
9:30 pm
>> let's look at what he said he would do if this failure occurred which as you know it has. mexico is not funding the wall. here's what he said he would do if he couldn't get them to do it. >> mexico will pay for the wall. they said you don't mean mexico will pay. we will have you will all come back and i will have a meeting and apologize. >> he was wrong and didn't apologize. why are so many house republicans including yourself supporting him shutting down the federal government because he couldn't get mexico to pay. shouldn't mexico's government be shut downright now? >> i guess we are on different pages. we have to talk about priorities. what i believe is national security is a huge priority. we have more deaths because of a poor southern border than problems out of the mideast. and this is a huge problem and we want to fix the problem. what we need to stop doing is looking at everything in tilos.
9:31 pm
the challenges we have -- >> i understand what you are saying and you and others have done this, but do you disagree with that's why the government is closed? >> i disagree with the premises. why the government was shut down is border security is such a priority to us. he has given congress every chance to fix the problem. we had several good solutions, but couldn't get them across the finish line. the goal that we can agree upon is national security is important. opening the government back up is a priority as well and fixing this broken immigration system is a priority as well. there has to be a way to fix all of them together. >> are you receptive to opening the government without the wall? >> that's a non-starter. we would lose our leverage if we do that. we need problems in total and
9:32 pm
not isolation. the president compromise and came down from $25 billion to $5.7 and it's time for congress to do their job. >> i'm happy to have you on the program, but we hear a lot about how trump moved republicans like yourself and changed their minds or positions on these issues. why did you change your mind to embrace the wall more than you used to? >> i think i have always been in favor of border security from day one. >> yes, sir, but we have a closed government over the wall. you shifted on the wall. is that because donald trump changed your mind or why now as the wall as you said worth shutting down the government over? >> i always have been in favor of border security. a border wall is one way to do this. from day one i have been in favor of border security. i said there are many ways to fix the problem.
9:33 pm
places need a barrier or a wall and other places need more boots on the ground. >> you say from day one. in 2017 you said i'm not sure a wall's the best way to do it. i don't know if it's even feasible which contradicts what you just claimed. can you admit from saying it's not feasible to now it's worth shutting the government down over. what changed? >> it's dangerous to take an isolated quote. if you took the whole paragraph and you can't remember where i was when i said that, but border security was the priority. i never thought was feasible to do 2,000 miles of wall. i was willing to consider it. we built about 700 miles so far. a fence or a barrier. you are getting down in the needles in the haystack instead of staying focused on the problem. we want to solve this problem. >> i appreciate you being here. you are calling it the haystack and call it accurate quotes from you. >> you are now taking them out of context. >> what are about it is out of context? >> i said fixing a border wall could work, but i didn't think
9:34 pm
it was feasible. i said border security was the priority and there were many ways to fix it. a border wall was part of the solution. we know in places where we put up fences and border walls, improved it by 90%. i thought they were part of the solution. >> let me ask you something not so much about your record, but the leadership of the house which of course has changed to pelosi, but former speaker ryan left. it is odd for many people and i wonder whether you and i might agree. it is odd to watch that donald trump and the republican party controlled all levers in washington. house and senate for two years and never passed this wall funding. now the moment the democrats are in charge, it's become a priority. if this were so important, why do you think donald trump the president and the congressional leaders you work with didn't just get this funded earlier? >> don't you think you are being
9:35 pm
disingenuous when you realized we needed 60 votes on the senate and the house passed funding several times and we were told to kick it down the road and we are making a stand here. you said we controlled all the levers, but never controlled the super majority we needed in the senate. >> i understand that, but there are ways to do it and i don't want to get too deep in the haystack, but there is reconciliation of a bare majority vote. there is a frequency in the house that we care and want your perspective here and compare it to obamacare where there were dozens and dozens of votes to try to drive it forward. over 60 by 1 count. border wall votes, under a fifth of that. ten votes roughly. is that part of the problem or do you think this is house republicans holding firm and senate republicans never found a way to do it through their rules? >> first of all, we took what i
9:36 pm
thought was a relatively simple problem and we filed a lot of things on to the christmas tree to try to fix the problem. when we tried to fix border security, we tried to fix the immigration issues. if we would have done that simpler, we could have passed it. certainly i will take responsibility, but we had two solid votes on this that were close in passing on the house side. i don't think it ever made it to the senate floor that i recall. >> congressman, that is a perspective we talked to folks throughout this shut down about why it's happening and where we are headed. i appreciate you coming on and taking the questions and i hope you come back. >> happy new year to everybody. still ahead, how the new congress is breaking the mold in all sorts of ways including directly broadcasting to people each day from this festivities this week and first we have worlds colliding in the fall back friday.
9:37 pm
andre leon talley and peggy noonan next. noonan next. her tom: it's a $10 cover? oh, okay. didn't see that on the website. he's been acting more and more like his dad. come on, guys! jump in! the water's fine! tom pritchard. how we doin'? hi, there. tom pritchard. can we get a round of jalapeño poppers for me and the boys, please? i've been saving a lot of money with progressive lately, so... progressive can't protect you from becoming your parents. but we can protect your home and auto when you bundle with us. but we can protect your home and auto when heartburn hits... fight back fast with tums smoothies. it neutralizes stomach acid at the source. tum tum tum tum tums... smoothies... ...and introducing new tums sugar-free.
9:38 pm
allow you to take advantage of growth opportunities with a level of protection in down markets. so you can be less concerned about your retirement savings. talk with your advisor about shield℠ annuities from brighthouse financial, established by metlife. from brighthouse financial, shaquem get in here. take your razor, yup. alright, up and down, never side to side, shaquem. you got it? come on, get back. quem, you a second behind your brother, stay focused. can't nobody beat you, can't nobody beat you. hard work baby, it gonna pay off. you got this. with the one hundred and forty-first pick, the seattle seahawks select. alright, you got it, shaquem. alright, let me see.
9:39 pm
9:40 pm
it's friday on "the beat" so you know what that means. it's time to fall back. we have a special pairing tonight. an icon of fashion and necessary rater of the reagan revolution. a name brand that partnered with ask are are tom ford and oscar de la renta and cubed one of the most famous people in the fashion world and his life was in the gospel according to andre. >> i didn't know who i was. i was becoming. i did get out of the gym. >> he is the nelson mandella of couture, the kofi annan of what you have on. >> people's hands exploded because he was so many things he wasn't supposed to be. >> you don't say it, you just do it. it impacts the culture. >> we are joined by another
9:41 pm
force who impacted the culture. pulitzer prize winner peggy noonan served as a speech writer for president reagan. the author of what i saw at the revolution and patriotic grace. it is so nice to have both of you here together. if i may say so, you both look great. >> she sent me a picture. i read them. >> what did you think of her writing? >> incredible. >> it's an honor to be next to an icon. that's all i can say. >> i wish there were more peggy noonans. >> this is what i wore for them. >> you write so clearly that whether people disagree with you or agree whether they are inspired exactly what they are saying. it's not to be said for all politics. >> one thing i did is clarity. the second thing is mean it. if you mean it, had helps you be clear.
9:42 pm
>> you seem to mean it. >> i mean it. i try to mean it all my life. i hope so. >> and you are wearing the maga red. >> sleeping bag coat. i had to take it off. >> andre and i have been in touch and we have mutual admiration going here. i think -- i don't mean this as self serving, but we recognize the others's attempts to do good work. that's a moving thing. when you see people and trying to do their job well. whatever the job is, it's a moving and impressive thing. >> and you are wearing the maga red. >> sleeping bag coat. i had to take it off. >> andre and i have been in touch and we have mutual admiration going here. i think -- i don't mean this as self-serving, but we recognize the others' attempts to do good work. that's a moving thing. when you see people and trying to do their job well. whatever the job is, it's a
9:43 pm
moving and impressive thing. >> is it about being able to take a risk? think about yourself. it's amazing references like last night they were talking about drake. that was extraordinary that huh the lines to segue into a set you had on the show. you know what i said about drake. you have an incredible knowledge of the rappers and the rap culture. >> she is very into the old school. >> i'm into old school, too. >> amen to that. >> give me diana ross. >> who needs to fall back? >> i will tell you some of those who can fall back. those who find professionals who
9:44 pm
wo worked at a high level and now for whatever reasons are working as say fedex drivers or recently in the new story, an uber driver. before that it was a guy who worked at trader joe's who had been on the tv show. the cosbys. there is a breathless story that said joe smith who used to be the star of this is at trader joe's or an uber driver. >> as if there is something wrong with that. >> people make fun of that. honorable work is an admirable thing. to sustain as we all do in long careers, a status shift. meaning things were going real good and for a while they are not doing so good. to take a job at a lower level and you don't say i'm better than that job or i have too much wonderfulness, you say thank you, god. i will take that job and you work it hard. nothing is more admirable and they shouldn't be made fun of. they should be lauded.
9:45 pm
>> i agree. >> how about that? >> how about that? what's that? facts as drake would say. where did we go wrong if people think through the internet that you should try to make somebody feel bad for an honest day's work? >> we became a snobbier nation. more interested in status. and that stuff. it became embarrassing just to be a normal human punching a clock and doing a good job. doing your best. admirable again. i don't mean to go off, but i feel this. >> quite moving and i think it's important to say. the segments on the hour-long shows like cnn and msnbc, they have beautiful segments at the end. what's good and what makes you feel good. the news stories that make you feel good about people who have come through adversity. we fell away from that.
9:46 pm
this is a country that brings up people who have gone through adversity. >> there is a reverse status because you are here. fox news trying to make a big deal out of the fact that michelle obama spent a large sum on balenciaga boots. >> i think she is having great fun. she is out of the white house. she never wore that in the white house. let's be real. in the white house she never went that way. she is now on her own stage. she has her own powerful moment with her book. she is having fun. it's the holiday season. why not wear stocking boots that look like half of a christmas tree? look at those things. >> beautiful. i have to ask you, peggy, i don't know the answer, are you pro glitter? >> i am wearing glitter, young man. may i say to back up what andre said, being chic is not an
9:47 pm
indication that you are shallow. being frumpy is not an indication that you are serious. you have the freedom to be any number of things. >> preach! >> be what you want to be. this woman is working for a living. she is no longer married to a public servant and living in public housing as they always say when they are in the white house. she doesn't have a job serving us anymore. she has a job being herself and she is free to do whatever she wants. do your thing. >> it's fabulous doing it. >> wasn't it nicky minaj who said who even looks at the price tag? we should be so lucky. >> we're should be so lucky. >> we are not nicky minaj, so -- >> can i say i love seeing you together and i would love to have you back together. peggy with the big fallback and andre, as always. much fun here. up next, moments from the
9:48 pm
new congress. ngress.. fast! so we can all sleep easier tonight. but allstate helps you. with drivewise. feedback that helps you drive safer. and that can lower your cost now that you know the truth... are you in good hands?
9:49 pm
9:50 pm
better things than rheumatoid arthritis. before you and your rheumatologist move to another treatment, ask if xeljanz xr is right for you. xeljanz xr is a once-daily pill for adults with moderate to severe ra for whom methotrexate did not work well enough it can reduce pain, swelling and further joint damage, even without methotrexate. xeljanz xr can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened. as have tears in the stomach or intestines,
9:51 pm
serious allergic reactions, low blood cell counts, higher liver tests and cholesterol levels. don't start xeljanz xr if you have an infection. your doctor should perform blood tests before and while taking xeljanz xr, and monitor certain liver tests. tell your doctor if you've been somewhere fungal infections are common and if you have had tb, hepatitis b or c, or are prone to infections. don't let another morning go by without talking to your rheumatologist about xeljanz xr.
9:52 pm
ed gets copays as lowlily go to as zero dollars on don't let another morning go by without talking to medicare part d prescriptions. ed gets labels clear as day. and, lily.... lily gets anything she wants. ed knows he could just have us deliver his prescriptions. but what's the fun in that? switch to cvs pharmacy. the federal government is shutdown. but congress is open. you can see them there embra embracing. all veterans wounded in the military, you see them there together. now representing citizens in congress. now, social media, clapping back
9:53 pm
at people who criticized her for dancing in college. that's a weird one for the haters. and congressman delgado showing his kids around his brand-new office. >> we're all about to go inside for the first time as a family. you guys ready? >> yes. >> you ready? >> yes. >> let's do it. >> you want to sit in daddy's seat? >> yes. >> here's a shocker, while there were plenty of talk about politicians, sometimes it's kids who can steal the show. >> i now call the house to order on behalf of all of america's children. >> pelosi. pelosi. >> pelosi. ♪
9:54 pm
>> rock on. up next, i'm going to show you two different musicians who had special shoutouts to "the beat." ne the experts at rootmetrics say is number one in the nation? sure, they probably know what they're talking about. or the one that j.d. power says is highest in network quality by people who use it every day? this is a tough one. well, not really, because verizon won both. so you don't even have to choose. why didn't you just lead with that? it's like a fun thing. (vo) chosen by experts. chosen by you. get six months apple music on us. it's the unlimited plan you need on the network you deserve. now buy the latest galaxy phones, get galaxy s9 free.
9:55 pm
9:56 pm
9:57 pm
bike, wheels, saddle. i customize everything - that's why i switched to liberty mutual. they customized my insurance, so i only pay for what i need. i insured my car, and my bike. my calves are custom too, but i can't insure those...
9:58 pm
which is a crying shame. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ we don't cover a lot of media news here, but there have been several newspaper articles about msnbc shows with some pretty good ratings, and 50 cent just brought all that up and "the beat" in his brand-new post on instagram. >> msnbc beats outfox last week in key ratings for the first time in 17 years. >> now you know how they beat them, right? >> yeah. >> because of ari. the only reason why we watch that is ari. he doing it so we know we're doing it. you know why? because he speak english. >> it is true i speak english.
9:59 pm
thank you, 50 cent for the shout-out. we're big fans of his, as many of you know. and we wanted to show something else from another viewer. and trav b. ryan, a songwriter, for some reason he wrote a song that he posted on the internet imagining he was me. ♪ i'm about to split my life and be super honest ♪ ♪ i was raised in seattle so i'm supersonic, start going into politics up in college ♪ ♪ now i'm eating and sleeping it in it like new pajamas i even won an emmy for it because i keep it real ♪ ♪ got my own show that's why they call it the beat because it goes hard ♪ ♪ looking for the truth, that has been my job, getting to the meat, low carbs ♪ >> a huge thank you and shout-out to mr. trav b. ryan for keeping it creative. now if you're at home and you're thinking about your favorite music, any genre, you can add us at instagram, beatnikbars.
10:00 pm
tell us any song from any era that you think captures our politics today or the shutdown. that does it for me. you can check out "the beat," 6:00 p.m. eastern on msnbc. god, no, please, no. this can't be real. >> a teenager, home alone in a night of terror. >> i would just stair and try to figure out how scared she was to death. >> on her body, like a signature, a hand print in blood. >> it was a crime of passion. there's a lot of anger involved in this. >> but hang on, because that hand print doesn't belong to the man police put in prison. >> the anger just surged throu

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on